DIY-ing!

I have been on a DIY kick lately...A few small projects here and there, but my big project was to make an ottoman for our living room. This was certainly a pinterest inspired project. I fell in love with an ottoman that was WAY to expensive and decided to take matters in to my own hands, literally! It took me a couple days to finish, I utilized nap times and after bed for my little guy, so I was able to work on my ottoman with out toddler interruption!

 Here was the tutorial I used from Tulip and Turnip Blog, I found on pinterest.

http://tulipandturnip.blogspot.com/2011/08/diy-upholstered-ottomancoffee-table.html

Here is the semi-finished product.
First, I needed to find a cheap coffee table. I scoured Craig's list, but found this one at Salvation Army Store for $25. My budget for the project, was $50. I spent a total of $65, so I came close. 

Next, I painted the legs and shelf below to match the rest of our furniture. I used a dark brown spray-paint. After painting, I measured out the foam size to cover the top and sides of the coffee table. I attached them with my glue gun. Then, I added a layer of batting, just to make the table a little cushier.
 
Now, the fun part. I used a staple gun to upholster the fabric to the table. I chose a velvety gray fabric to keep it neutral in our living room. This was the hardest step. I think I must have gone through 50 staples!! I didn't take any pictures with this step, the staple gun wore me out!

Well, it's finally done...for now anyway. I plan to add tuffed buttons to it or a trim on the bottom, but for now, this will do! :) I'll try to post an updated picture soon!

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more!

2 comments

  1. Looks great! Did you have to sand the table at all? That's one thing I'm afraid of with re-painting furniture. I'd hate to sand...it turned out so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't sand it all. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with it. I may take off the side slats of wood and re-staple and add tufted buttons. But thank you :)

      Delete